Burnout is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress.
When burnout begins happening you have feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem seem to grow in your mind. When facing burnout, you begin to become overwhelmed at things that used to inspire you. You may find yourself having little or no patience toward people and issues in a way that may even surprise you.
According to the Mayo Clinic – Burnout is a medical diagnosis. Some experts believe that depression is condition that can affect burnout. It has been noted by many who study “burnout syndrome” that those who experience it earlier in their career have a higher propensity to over come and recover than those facing it later in their career.
Possible Signs of Burnout
1- PHYSICAL SIGNS: Intense and frequent headaches; also possible stomach issues
2-EMOTIONAL SIGNS: Chronic Stress, depression, not having the energy or excitement that you should at this point in life
3-OVERLY CYNICAL OR NEGATIVE SIGNS: I know that some people are negative by nature, but when that becomes a dominant feature, it’s a sign
4-REDUCED PERFORMANCE You begin to have difficulty focusing and concentrating which may include a lack of natural creativity
5- LACK OF MOTIVATION SIGNS: Your level of satisfaction is greatly reduced. Possibly even to the point of no motivation to work or perform
Professional Burnout Symptoms
- Have you become cynical or critical at work?
- Do you drag yourself to work and have trouble getting started?
- Have you become irritable or impatient with co-workers, customers or clients?
- Do you lack the energy to be consistently productive?
- Do you find it hard to concentrate?
- Do you lack satisfaction from your achievements?
- Do you feel disillusioned about your job?
- Are you using food, drugs or alcohol to feel better or to simply not feel?
- Have your sleep habits changed?
- Are you troubled by unexplained headaches, stomach or bowel problems, or other physical complaints?
Would you like to work with a professional coach that could help assess and evaluate where you are and where you want to go? Taking yourself to the next level will probably require someone to walk on the journey with you. Connexus Group offers Executive Coaching for individuals as as Mastermind Groups for you to join a community of like-minded leaders. Also, you can contact us directly HERE.
How can you prevent burnout personally and professionally? Coming soon